Supporting the Development of a Drug Discovery Hub in Ghana
The Noguchi Memorial Institute for Medical Research (NMIMR) and other departments of the University of Ghana and other local universities have had lose network of researchers in drug discovery research. This project aims to unite these groups, prime the network with an integrated drug discovery project in malaria, through which to develop the human capacity and infrastructure towards the ultimate goal of building a drug discovery hub in Ghana.
The overall vision (10-15 years) is to establish a drug discovery capability within Ghana, capable of undertaking hit discovery, hits to lead and lead optimization across a range of diseases relevant to Ghana and the West African region. The project objectives include:
- Build a screening cascade and drug discovery pathway for antimalarial drug discovery within Ghana.
- Validate and characterise in detail the hit series.
- Initiate hit- to-lead chemistry on at least 2 MMV series.
- Drive one series to an early lead.
- Consolidate and further develop current capabilities in antimalarial screening and medicinal chemistry.
- Synthesis and characterization of small molecules for antimalarial assessment.
- Consolidation of antimalarial screening assays.