Antimicrobial resistance (AMR)
Antimicrobial resistance (AMR) is occurring at an alarming rate. Surveillance is the cornerstone for evaluating the burden of AMR to inform treatment decisions at local, national, and global levels. Correct identification of bacteria and performance of standard antimicrobial susceptibility is utmost for optimum patient care and also in gauging the burden of AMR.
We use state of the art phenotypic and whole genome sequencing to investigate antimicrobial resistance in commonly isolated bacteria species recovered from humans, livestock/food and the environment. We train laboratory staff from the human and animal health sectors to correctly identify bacteria species and to perform standard antimicrobial susceptibility testing. We are also involved in the training of undergraduate and postgraduate students in the field of AMR to raise the next generation of resistance fighters to tackle AMR menace
We are investigating Methicillin Resistant Staphylococcus aureus and Extended Spectrum Beta lactamase producing bacteria species in patients with surgical site infections at two hospital in Accra. The findings have been shared with relevant stakeholders to support antimicrobial stewardship programs at the hospitals.
- Labi AK, Obeng-Nkrumah N, Dayie N, Egyir B, Donkor E, Newman M Opintan J, (2021) Antimicrobial use in hospitalized patients: a multicenter point prevalence survey across seven hospitals in Ghana. Accepted for publication in JAC-Antimicrobial Resistance
- Egyir B, Bentum J, Attram N, Fox A, Obeng-Nkrumah N, Appiah-Korang L, Behene E, Kumordjie S, Yeboah C, Agbodzi B, Bentil RE, Tagoe R, Kofi Adu Tabi B, Owusu F, Dayie NTKD, Donkor ES, Nsaful J, Asah-Opoku K, Nyarko E, Asumanu E, Larsen AR, Wolfe DM, Letizia AG. “Whole Genome Sequencing and Antimicrobial Resistance of Staphylococcus aureus from Surgical Site Infections in Ghana”. Pathogens. (2021) 12;10(2):196. doi: 10.3390/pathogens10020196
- Egyir B, Obeng-Nkrumah N, Kyei GB. “COVID-19 Pandemic and Antimicrobial Resistance: Another Call to Strengthen Laboratory Diagnostic Capacity in Africa.” African Journal of Laboratory Medicine 9, no. 1 (2020). https://doi.org/10.4102/ajlm.v9i1.1302.
- Dsani E, Afari EA, Danso-Appiah A, Kenu E , Kaburi BB, Egyir B. “Antimicrobial Resistance and Molecular Detection of Extended Spectrum β-Lactamase Producing Escherichia coli Isolates from Raw Meat in Greater Accra Region, Ghana.” BMC Microbiology 20, no. 1 (2020). https://doi.org/10.1186/s12866-020-01935-z
- Baig S, Rhod Larsen A, Martins Simões P, Laurent F, Johannesen TB, Lilje B, Tristan A, Schaumburg F, Egyir B, Cirkovic I, Nimmo GR, Spiliopoulou I, Blanc DS, Mernelius S, Moen AEF, David MZ, Andersen PS, Stegger M. “Evolution and Population Dynamics of Clonal Complex 152 Community-Associated Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus aureus.” mSphere 5, no. 4 (2020). https://doi.org/10.1128/msphere.00226-20
- Egyir B, Hadjirin NF, Gupta S, Adogla-Bessa T, Addo KK, Larsen AR, Holmes MA. “Whole-Genome Sequence Profiling of Antibiotic-Resistant Staphylococcus aureus Isolates from Livestock and Farm Attendants in Ghana.” Journal of Global Antimicrobial Resistance 22 (2020): 527–32. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jgar.2020.03.029
- Strauß L, Stegger M, Eberechi AP, Alabi A, Breurec S, Coombs G, Egyir B, Larsen AR, Laurent F, Monecke S, Peters G, Skov R, Strommenger B, Vandenesch F, Schaumburg F, and Mellmann A. “Origin, Evolution, and Global Transmission of Community-Acquired Staphylococcus aureus ST8.” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 114, no. 49 (2017). https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.1702472114
- Egyir B, Guardabassi L, Moneck S, Newmann MJ, Addo KK, Larsen AR. “Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus aureus Strains from Ghana Include USA300.” Journal of Global Antimicrobial Resistance 3, no. 1 (2015): 26–30. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jgar.2014.11.006
- Egyir B, Guardabassi L, Sørum M, Nielsen SS, Kolekang, A, Frimpong E , Addo KK, Newman MJ, Larsen AR. “Molecular Epidemiology and Antimicrobial Susceptibility of Clinical Staphylococcus aureus from Healthcare Institutions in Ghana.” PLoS ONE 9, no. 2 (2014). https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0089716
- Egyir B, Guardabassi L, Esson J, Nielsen SS Newmann MJ ,Addo KK, Larsen AR. “Insights into Nasal Carriage of Staphylococcus aureus in an Urban and a Rural Community in Ghana.” PLoS ONE 9, no. 4 (2014). https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0096119
- Egyir B, Guardabassi L, Nielsen SS, Larsen J ,Addo KK, Newmann MJ, Larsen AR. “Prevalence of Nasal Carriage and Diversity of Staphylococcus aureus among Inpatients and Hospital Staff at Korle Bu Teaching Hospital, Ghana.” Journal of Global Antimicrobial Resistance 1, no. 4 (2013): 189–93. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jgar.2013.05.006